Saturday 28 January 2012

Foodie Friday

 Yesterday I discovered Foodie Friday over at Maris World
I loved the look of her low cal blueberry muffins but thought I might tempt some with my 
Devils Food Cupcakes

1/2tbsp lemon Juice or vinegar
110ml / 4fl oz Full-fat Milk
110g / 4oz Plain Flour
1/2tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
25g / 1oz Cocoa Powder
55g / 2oz unsalted Butter
125g / 4 1/2oz Caster Sugar
1 Large Egg

First put the lemon or vinegar into the milk an set aside to sour

Cream the butter and half the sugar together
Mr Goo mixing away!
Action shot!

Then beat in the egg and the rest of the sugar 


Have you seen one of these whisks?
They are great. You just push the handle up and down and the whisk twists.
I got it a a county show in Aberdeenshire but I have no clue what it is called but it is great to get the children involved in the cooking because it is like a toy but it really works. Light and fluffy mixes.
Ok more often than not I use the electric one, but this one is nice for a change.
Now in goes the flour, cocoa powder and bicarb.
The instructions say a third at a time, alternating with the soured milk.
I totally forgot that, added about a third then the rest, got a dry mix, wondered why. Then added the milk in one woosh.
oops
Still. Looked ok to me.
I made sure not to beat to much air out of it.

Into the cases about 2/3 full.
Then pop into the oven for about 20-25 mins.

I always let mine cool a bit in the tin. It helps to keep the squishy.

Forgot the camera thoughout the icing bit

125g / 4 1/2oz Plain chocolate (broken up)
pinch of salt
1 1/2tbsp Caster Sugar
150kl / 5fl oz Soured Cream

I used half because the full recipe is just too much. You would have as much icing as cake!

Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering hot water. Did you know that cheap chocolate burns if you do it over boiling water? I didn't know that until christmas just past. Most frustrating when you are not in your own kitchen, using your own equipment and your BIL is watching you make a cake as his christmas pressie. With your sister laughing at you in the background.

Aaaanyway, sorry about that rant.

One the chocolate is melted, whisk in the caster sugar, salt and soured cream.
Leave to cool for a bit ( I popped mine in the fridge. Yes I am that impatient!) because, at this point it is very runny.

Then spread over your yummy cooled down cakes
What do you think?
Don't they just look scrummy!!

I am adding this to Maris World linky, even though I am a day late. So nip over and see what else people have been making.

Now I am off to make those blueberry muffins for Hubs. Maybe if they are low cal, he will eat them.

Mind you. Today he is making himself a blueberry cheesecake. All by Himself!!
Should I take pics ;0)

No comments:

Post a Comment